Anxiety or feeling anxious is the condition or way to reduce or avoid the danger and keep evolving to feel safe and it is common in most people to have anxiety during any kind of change. So, feeling anxious or stressed during this covid19 situation is nothing wrong and there are so many cases of the same but ignoring this anxiety is tempting when it comes to the feeling of the individual, and it does not help in the long run. Anxiety may be helpful in some cases and may not be helpful in other and individual may feel overwhelmed in such cases.
To cope up with the covid19 situation and anxiety during this period some strategies or tools can be followed up by individuals. Though these strategies may help to reduce and control the anxiety of the individual, it fully dependent on the individual how he or she is going to handle the situation.
“A positive attitude gives you power over your circumstances instead of your circumstances having power over you.”
– Joyce Meyer
ANXIETY REDUCTION STRATEGIES:
Five major strategies have been discussed below that can be undertaken for anxiety reduction during the covid19 outbreak:
- Take care of your body.
- Breathing practice and other activities to reduce stress.
- Seek out professional help.
- Stay calm and active.
- Take a break from social media.
The strategies that can be followed are discussed in detail below –
1) Take care of your body:
During this covid19 situation, the most important thing is to be healthy physically which will lead an individual to mental health as well, and to do it the basic step is to take care of own body. This can be done by –
- Healthy eating habits by taking proper meals including fruits, vegetables.
- Physical and mental exercises every day such as walking, light workout, freehand exercises, yoga, etc.
- Get optimum sound sleep and sufficient rest of the body during working hours.
- Try to avoid smoking, drug, alcohol, etc.
- Stay connected with your family and friends.
This will help to take care of both the mental and physical health of an individual and will be helpful to reduce anxiety to a great extent.
2) Breathing practice and other activities to reduce stress:
Stress reduction activities can be undertaken including deep breathing, the relaxation that will surely help to fight anxiety. This will give peace to an individual’s mind. Whenever an individual may feel overwhelmed, he or she can take a deep breath slowly that will make him or her calm and besides this breathing exercise one can also make a change in mind by walking or listening to kinds of music. Besides this, depending on the level of anxiety one can do some other activities such as –
- Meditation for 2-3 minutes.
- Exercise for relaxing.
- Pay attention to your own needs and feelings.
- Become more engaged in healthy activities that can be enjoyed.
- Keep things in perspective.
This can help to make a better and healthy society also, both physically and mentally.
3) Seek out professional help:
Making a self-care checklist is one of the best ideas to deal with the anxiety by making a plan beforehand about how to deal with the anxiety and what to do next, but sometimes anxiety becomes so overwhelmed that it can’t be handled alone anymore. This time individual must get professional advice and psychological therapies to overcome the situation. Some steps can be done for this –
- Doing medication as prescribed by the experts.
- Make some list or notes to be followed later.
- Free and confidential crisis resources can also help.
- Loved ones with skills can help.
- Get in touch with a counselor nearby.
4) Stay calm and active:
When an individual feels anxiety he or she becomes out of control ad can think that the scope is reducing for everything, but this is a thought of mind that makes the individual feel and think the worst-case scenarios. Such as having cough means one gets covid or any death happens indicates to the death due to covid, which are extremely wrong.
Individual must have to stay calm and be focused, active to make him or her under own control. It can be done by –
- Getting proper news from authentic sources.
- Joining webinars with positive impacts of covid.
- Reminding own self about the goods happening out of odds.
- Do exercises to be active.
- Read books and success stories.
- Find the opportunities to amplify positive and hopeful stories.
- Get a positive image from the locals who have experienced and overcome COVID19.
- Don’t check up for health regularly.
- Stop being worried about the investments done etc.
5) Take a break from social media:
The last and the most important step is to have a break from social media. The wrong messages about the covid and other cases 24/7 can make individuals produce catastrophic thoughts that will lead to anxiety. Most of the people are panicked not because of the pandemic or covid breakout but because of the wrong information provided. To make a gap from it and to reduce the anxiety and stress one must maintain distance from social media for a time and this can be done in different ways including –
- Stop surfing about the covid news on social media.
- Don’t follow the news for 2-3 days.
- Don’t take data from unauthentic sources and stay away from the rumors.
- Limit access to the media, news, etc., and seek updates during a specific time of the day.
- Only follow up or get data from the authentic and government sources such as WHO website and local health authority platforms and do planning properly.
During this worldwide pandemic, anxiety is getting out of control for most persons and these strategies can be followed to reduce the anxiety and making a person strong mentally. One cannot expect to follow all at once, but one must start to take small steps to achieve the goal and fight over the anxiety in a long run.
The situation can become challenging as some of the healthcare workers and other frontline workers have experienced avoidance by their family and friends. This may become difficult so, one must stay connected to the loved ones including family members, friends, colleagues by virtual mode such as email, phone calls, etc. to get social support.
Also, this situation has affected the children a lot and they can also feel stressed, and they are needed to express feelings of fear and sadness. Engaging children creatively can help in this and it can be considered safe. It helps to develop their career as well. To make better bonding with parents during this pandemic they must need to stay connected to them by phone calls, video calls. And besides all these familiar routines must be maintained and all are required to be engaged in age-specific activities.
“Worry is like a rocking chair: it gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere.”
– Erma Bombeck
So to overcome this situation and reduce the stress, anxiety be prepared beforehand practically for getting help such as calling a taxi, having food delivered, getting medical care support and take medicines food available for the next 1-2 weeks. These all strategies surely will help to make better mental health in long run.
“Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson